Whether this is your first time taking a CFA exam or you’ve already taken one before, we have everything you need to know so you can be prepared for exam day!
- The CFA exam is administered at a Prometric test centre. There are over 400 Prometric centres around the world that offer computer-based CFA exams.
- If you registered for a CFA Exam Level, you should have received available seats in the Prometric test centre for the different CFA exams.
- After you have made your choice, you'll receive separate instructions from the test centre regarding lunch, parking, and any other information you may need to know.
- It is recommended to arrive at least 30 minutes before taking the exam to ensure that you have time to properly check-in. If you can, arrive 45 minutes early in case there are delays with the registration process.
What to Take to the Test Center
- You will need to bring an original, valid, government-issued identification that includes both a photo and a signature (valid international travel passport is preferred) to take any level of the CFA Exam.
- The following are allowed in the testing room and must be in full view on your desk:
- Approved calculator, which can only be from the following list: includes the Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including BA II Plus Professional) or the Hewlett Packard 12C (including the HP 12C Platinum, 12C Platinum 25th anniversary edition, 12C 30th-anniversary edition, and HP 12C Prestige).
- Only soft earplugs (with no wires/cords attached) and centre-supplied tissues are permitted in the test room.
- Calculator cases and keystroke cards
- Permitted personal items are included (only the ones as per CFAI)
- Keep in mind that some allowable personal items might be inspected before admittance into the testing room.
- Prometric testing centres will provide CFA candidates with a whiteboard or erasable writing tablet for use during the CFA Exam.
- Prohibited items not allowed in the Prometric testing room include:
- Weapons of any sort
- Food or drink*
- Electronic devices, phones, or cameras*
- Unauthorised personal items such as wallets, bags, hair clips, or jewellery*
- Written notes, published materials, or other testing aids except when allowed by your test sponsor.
*Most items, like clothes or electronics, can be brought to the testing centre, but not brought into the testing room. There is a designated area for personal belongings not permitted in the testing room.
What to Expect During CFA Exam Testing
Once you have entered the testing room, you will need to keep the following in mind:
- All test takers will be seated in a socially distant manner (this depends on the test centre's policies).
- You will be provided with a laminated sheet or erasable writing tablet for use during the exam.
- Light clothing items removed for comfort, such as sweaters or jackets, must be hung on the examinee’s chair, not placed in laps or on the workstation desktop.
- Talking to candidates in the test room, referring to their screens, testing materials, or written notes is strictly prohibited.
- If a test taker needs to take a scheduled or unscheduled break during the exam, they must sign out each time they leave the test room. Test takers can simply raise their hand if a break is needed.
- If for any reason a test taker needs to visit their locker during the exam, they're only allowed to visit their lockers for food, drink, or medication(s). Anytime a candidate leaves the room, their time in and out will be recorded by a staff member.
What to Expect After CFA Exam Testing
- You will be asked to return to the administration area once you have completed your testing to sign out.
- Test takers must return all materials issued by the Test Center Administrator after testing.
- Once you have returned all materials, you may collect their personal items from the lockers and leave.